Taking part in our TEN:10 programme enables volunteers to increase their understanding of injustice and the effects of homelessness and mental health on the lives of children and young people, as well as giving them an amazing experience of living in the historic Roman UK city of Exeter, on the south west coast of England. Placement options can include:
- Supporting homeless young people with their applications into our YMCA Exeter accommodation
- Assisting in young people’s personal development through running initiatives like sports, cooking and music
- Assisting in our social media, communications and marketing team, creating interactive digital content and videos
- Taking part in one to one meetings with our young people and researching local community-based activities they can take part in
- Assisting in our events team to raise awareness of YMCA Exeter in the local community and running one-off seasonal celebrations for our residents
- Supporting the wellbeing of our young people by working with them on our allotment
- Working in the Accounting team, supporting YMCA Exeter through administration and finance
- Promoting spiritual development through faith-based activities for staff and residents at YMCA Exeter
Internship and volunteer placement options
Year long placements
Year long TEN:10 volunteers immerse themselves into the life of YMCA Exeter, arriving in October and finishing in July each year. Interns get involved in all aspects of charity life, depending on their personal interests and skills they want to develop. We place interns in local Christian host families in Exeter and they can take part in personal, professional and spiritual development opportunities throughout the year.
This placement is run in partnership with the German charity ARSP – Action Reconciliation, Service for Peace.
Short term placements
These are three to six month, full time, internship placements which are tailored to the individual and their learning objectives and goals. The programme is written by our Volunteer Coordinator and is bespoke to each individual, giving young adults the opportunity to gain experience in an array of work areas over a longer period of time. Bespoke internships are ideal for students who area graduating from college or university and are ready to dip their toes into the working world.
Work experience placements are popular with local students from Exeter College and the University. From running small events with our PR & marketing team, to assisting in hospitality & front of house duties, as well as HR & finance, work experience placements, are ideal for young adults who need to gain additional experience in a particular field of their interest.
If you are interested in exploring any of the internship opportunities and to talk through the options then please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or by ringing 01392 410530. Please describe your reason for volunteering with YMCA Exeter as well as the goals for your placement.